Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Since You Asked; The how and why plumbing on my power-washing truck

This is an outgrowth of the last post on feeding the power washer, with the how and why plumbing on my power-washing set-up. Now I want to say I had a fellow washer ask the other day how and why I set up my service truck. Why did I do this or that, the best answer is I wanted to make it easy for me to use and to assure you as a customer that when I show up the job will be done.

Other washers in the business my not see or find it to their liking. Everyone works different and wants something to fit them. As I stated before I started off in the business as a hood washer, using the heated washer as a tool in the hood cleaning business not as a "pressure washer". Working at night often in an other state one has to become self-proficient at get and keep things running and dealing with emergencies. What if your injector quits working, what if you don't want to have the injector in line? What if you're working with someone else who set their equipment up differently? A burst hose, problems with the pump or motor. Do you stop and tell them I'll be back when I get it fixed? Being able to fix or in my case rearrange things on the fly is why I have done what I have done. I will get the job done and repair back at the shop. Setting up my plumbing with quick connects and the way I have done it works for the way I do things.

The first thing is we always had a back-up washer on board, today is no different with me. Two Mi-T-M washers now go with me on every job overkill or underkill I don't know. Both belt driven models with different outputs which does not enter in to this entry. Why not just get a "new big skid" to use instead? I'm asked my answer even a "new big skid" can and do have problems don't they how often do you want me to replace with a new skid? This year I added a second hose reel also, one for each of the washers usually but often I want to switch from one to the other with out having both reels out. I have things set up to use no injector, an injector bypass or have the option of using different injectors in several different places depending on the hose length. I now have the option to use each washer by it self, both working and linked together, both separately running at the same time, several combinations have opened up for cleaning this year. Making it easy to hook and unhook these washer is a must and to be able to do it at on the job site is a must. Options depending on what Cleaned by Pete is doing.

I have achieved most of this with the use of quick connects for the high-pressure lines. I have some photos to help explain what I'm doing I hope they help to clear things up. I have made thing easier by mounting washers, hose reels, soap tanks and other items to the truck permanently. Meaning this is a dedicated work rig. It is our 2nd work rig these trucks are for work you don't take them to the mall or out to eat dinner. This I feel shows more dedication to the business, I know other may not see it the same way, but once again nobody is all right or all wrong, just an opinion.

Working with a range of whips, short hoses, the injector bypass, several quick connects put together and arranged is different ways and spare injectors we can hook up and into several different arrangements.

Some of the leads and different hose connections that Cleaned by Pete may need to use.

Some of the leads and different hose and quick connections that Cleaned by Pete may need to use.
I will start with the pump heads both these Mi-T-M units use a block or remote unloader mounts. I have always like this way of setting up an unloader better than hanging it off the pump head. You can change it out easier and work on it with much more access, on a side note I have this remote unloader setup on most of our power washers.

Placing a quick connect off the unloader is our first line of making it easy. You can just unplug or plug in what you need it also aids us when winterizing the equipment.
This is a larger line that goes to the next piece of equipment the hose-reel. I can add in a chemical injector at this point if I wish, or move this connection over to the other washer to use it if I wish,
The unloader at this pump is also on a remote block the quick connect is pointing down off the 90* fitting for more room.
Things are still very tight the unloader is right beside the water input which is feed from the garden hose and the homeowners outside water tap. It has a filter on it to help us keep any forien particles from entering the pump.
Shown with the jumper hose attached. Again have the option of running it to the hose-reel an injector or to a hose. These short hose work out well to help pump in and pump out the antifreeze during the winter.
I like to put the chemical injector inline between the unloader and the pump head. I have found my system does not draw as well if I place the injector right in front of the hose reel. I like to use some hose between seems to draw chemicals / soap better on my system.

By-pass injector set up to the top hose-reel the soap tank is the white tank on the left and is feed by the white line leading to the adjustable chemical injector. By turning the ball valve you can by pass the injector having full pressure and flow to the rest of the system.
Our injector in line to the hose-reel all components have quick connects so you can quickly make changes in the system. Again depending on the lead to what washer is feeding it.
The lead of feed hose runs unseen under the chrome rail alone the trucks flat bed.
Now arriving at the hose-reel, If you have not guessed...... yes quick connects once again. The hoses are also fitted to the hose-reels with the same style quick connects I can unroll unhook and plug in to the other hoses if I should need more. Also if a hose should burst I can unhook and replace making quick time of it with out having to get out the tools. The burst hose is out of the system and I can keep going on with the work. If a pump, motor, or unloader in either system just moving the output hose over and the water feed I'm back in business again. 

Lead hose at the top hose reel.
Top hose-reel connected.
Same lead hose connected to the bottom reel.
By running another jumper and hooking it up to the other reel I can use both washer with either reel having the option of two men working.

I now have the option of using both pumps to one output hose by using a Siamese linking system again it can be hooked to the injector then to what ever reel I wish to use. Having a 9 gpm output. Again this is the way I have chosen to do my plumbing on my outfit. Right or wrong it serves me the best. With the use of quick connects I have tried to make thing easy to fix and trouble shoot.

Cleaned by Pete
just a power washer serving the greater Ozarks 
based in Springfield MO

Both Cleaned by Pete's power washers together, the green hoses are return lines to the tank.
The green hoses are return (bypass) lines to the water tank one pump is tank feed the other is pressure feed. The pressure fed washer uses the tank as a dump tank in bypass mode, helping to keep the pump unit cooler (not recycling water). When using both pumps the dumping bypass helps to feed the water fed pump system.
Both Cleaned by Pete's pressure washers together, the green hoses are return lines to the tank. The gray with red stripped hose on the reel is the feed hose for the system.

1 comment: