Tuesday, March 24, 2015

What Do You Want! :putting together a custom power washer

What Do You Want! :putting together a custom power washer. We all have different ideas of what we want to work with. We all have ideas to change our working equipment to be even better. If they only did this or that. Well the manufactures did not call me when they built it so it could fit just my needs. That leaves me to put a washer together myself the way it fits my needs. 


Setting the stage I wanted a smaller footprint washer with power enough to do concrete and at the same time wanted reliability and a long-life for it and the components. Belt drives pumps turn at half speed this gives the pump drawing power and since it is not turning as fast you should double the life of a direct-drive washer. Belt drives are great but take up more space and with the pulleys and belt drive set-up. Added weight of the belt guards the tentioner brackets, the pulleys them selves and a larger stronger mounting plate to handle all this is something I was looking to avoid. I have had the "V-twin" over head valve motors and while proven I personally do not like them. I know right now some are ready to come to blows over that statement. More moving parts, a higher profile, and a bit top-heavy for my taste so to speak. This is what I am looking to solve in this build.

For the motor I picked the old Briggs 180* opposed flathead twin-cylinder motor. Very reliable lower profile a old work-horse of a motor. flathead motors have fewer moving parts and develop more tourk something I'm looking for. The 180* lay out means it is a smoother running motor also this is also a plus. To shorten up the footprint and still give the larger pump a greater lifespan I'm going with a RS500 gearbox to replace the belt system. This gearbox will now take the 3450 RPMs of the motor and reduce it to 1700 RPMs required by the pump. It will look much like a direct-drive power washer and take up much less room. I have chosen a K-5 unloader for this build simply because I had 2 sitting on the shelf. The last item is I wanted a big gastank nothing worst than running out of gas when you have 10 feet left to clean on a job. I happened to find this Sears Craftsman power washer and had the cage wheels and tank I had been looking for. An older gentleman bought it at an auction and never used it. I removed the pump and motor and mounted it on a old two wheel pressure washing cart a neighbor had given me and I'll try to sell at a later time. The pump I have a spare General 5.5 gpm at 3000 psi sitting here and will be using it for the build. Generals are good pumps and we have a part supply house here local with every part needed in stock to keep one up and running.

Cleaned by Pete putting together a new washer to serve the customers better with all the ideas and needs that I had to be filled.

Cleaned by Pete putting together a new washer to serve the customers better.

Have most of the parts to build up another power washer. Using the gear-box will give me a smaller footprint than the old belt drives but will still give me the longer life of the pump. 18 hp Briggs 180 opposed twin with custom manifold, General pump, K5 unloader, RS500 gearbox, large gas tank in a Craftsman frame. Have the sheet-metal and fan off the motor for the build. Have to see how it goes together now.


Well this is where I'm at today have most of the parts and fittings.  I will start to build and see what I can create. I don't know if it will be better than others but I will only have one person to blame if it does not work out as I planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment