Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Cleaned by Pete's Wash'n Wednesday Brushes and Poles

Brushes and Poles

I guess we can call this a bonus entry. I know a lot of you do not use them they require manual manipulation to make them work. Our caveman forefathers used much the same thing a bush on a stick to clean their caves. Today we are a little more sophisticated with brush heads on telescoping poles, but they are still are only powered by manually moving it. All this technical knowledge and advancements yet we still are the only way it will work. We all have run into a spot where it needs just a bit of scrubbing to get it cleaned. I do not put a ladder on a customers home, if a ladder is required I will us a step ladder. I have found these pole invaluable in our cleaning operations.
All part of our tools and attachments Cleaned by Pete brushes and poles.

Weather I'm using it to remove spider webs before washing, scrapping down the mud dobber nest, removing a bird's nest or the wasp in the corner, poles are my answer. A good brush on the end of a quality pole is a must, to achieve a good job. I also use these poles to do some but not too much window washing for selected customers. You may look at the pictures and wonder if I have gone off the deep end with all those poles. Reach is everything when you need it. If you're scrubbing algae on a wall or removing bird droppings from an awning, a pole is a great thing to having them is several lengths and sizes come in handy.

I'm writing this entry in the blog because I was asked by a fellow washer for some advise. It seems that after washing a stucco home there were still some light staining in places on the home. The picture below being the longest and worst of the lot. The stain is not rust but described as a light black streak.

 What is the best way to address them they asked. They tried as he said "Flintstoneing  it" crawling up a ladder holding on for life and trying to scrub it with a brush in your hand, but the area is also hard to get at. Hard to keep cleaners on a wall when you have one hand to work with. Here is my suggestion to him on the problem. I thought, I could put it all down here just encase someone else would like to read about poles and brushes. Using them to address stubborn areas that don't seem to want to go away.

Poles form 16 feet down to 2 feet Cleaned by Pete has one to fit the cleaning needs.
A view of the poles and brushes used in our cleaning programs.
Poles working from the ground you can get more friction on the area to be cleaned and friction is what cleans and helps to remove the problem. As he said we threw cleaners at it but it didn't want to go away. You need what you feel comfortable with. In our cleaning if I run across a need for something I get a tool to help. Having the correct tool is what I always try to have thus that is why I have this large of selection poles from 16 feet to 2 feet they all have there place in our line-up.

With an attachment or adaptor that I put together it is possible to down-stream cleaners and soaps to the brush head and aid in getting what is need where it is needed. Cleaners pumped or down-streamed to the head of these brushes via the adaptor pictured below lets me use the pressure washer with low pressure to wash, sudzs and scrub up the need item or area. Each of us have what soaps and cleaners we like to use and what each has found to work with our own style and area we work in. I could suggest a cleaner that would work for me but most know what works for them. I'm taking a different approach here getting the cleaners and soaps to the place they need to be aiding in cleaning these stubborn areas.
Via the adaptors I can use a brush on a lance while down-streaming soaps and cleaners to the brush head.
I know most feel that extension poles (the noodle or yellow banana) are of no use but put a brush on them with low pressure add cleaners being delivered at the brush you can get right up and personal with the stain or soiled area. This set up allows us to wash awnings and other areas that need attention. I have used this method of soaping and scrubbing when washing the bus fleet, RVs and campers along with houses and walls that I do. This is my version of a water fed pole. I have been using it for years this way. Just like the foaming tire brush in the self-service car-wash that we all have seen and used. Only now it is with us to use on the mobile operations and expanding the use for more than just tires and wheels.

Poles are poles? Not always look for a good quality pole, buying the best pole will be a long lasting item. Revisit this entry for more information on types of systems on extension poles: http://cleanedbypete.blogspot.com/2013/04/extension-or-telescoping-poles-locking.html . Using your existing lances and extension wands you now own can help keep the cost down if you should need to reach an area or that gutter that may need a bit more attention.

The other part of this answer is on the working end of the pole or lance. It is the brush. I have had several brushes and used and experimented with them. Over the years these are the ones I use. You may find your liking to other designs or brushes.
Cleaned by Pete has these 5 brushes that seem to fit his needs for his cleaning needs.
Starting with the yellow it is a curved face and has strong bristles, I found the green bristle brush a bit stiff for washing on a long pole or 1/4" lance. This yellow brush is for tough and ruff surfaces and does a good job of scrubbing the dirty stuff. I will use this on on concrete and wooden decks. Top row 2nd place is a quality car-washing brush, curved face and lots of full soft split bristles. This brush is great for around doors and for doors I use it with out a pole for touch up, since it holds a lot of soap and water you need not keep dunking it as often. This full curved brush is great for cleaning screens too. Split bristle brushes hold more cleaners and have more surface are to work with. The brush in the middle is a boar's hair brush the softest brush made will not mar or scratch the softest of surfaces or cut the most delicate cloth awning.  These three brushes are plastic composite bodies with soap or cleaner openings for down-streaming. The next two brushes are both considered a car-wash brush. They have a soft non-marring bands around the brush for extra protection and both still have down-streaming openings in the face of the brush. The red brush is stiffer but still fairly soft it is sometimes refereed to as a wheel brush, this brush is my go to brush for vinyl siding. It gives the right amount of pressure and power in the bristles to remove most dirt and heavy build up. The last one is a standard quality car-wash brush go to on the campers and RVs along with the fleets as well as the curved car washing brush only this one is lighter do to less bristles holding water and cleaners. This is also my go to gutter cleaning brush I just like the way it works and the overall size of the brush plus the protective band is great if I loose control or should it slip. The four outside brushes are all synthetic bristles which resist staining the inside brush is all natural bristles and takes extra care to keep it in shape. Each has a place each serves a porous. While I have usually two poles on the truck, I always have these 5 brushes in the box when on the job. Again this is only my list you may not like the brush for doing the job I have suggested but it has worked for me. Only trying them will lead you to what will work for you, the poles are the same thing finding what works for you may take a few different times or uses.
Power washing attachments and tools, brushes and poles.

Cleaned by Pete poles and brushes for cleaning also used in window washing.
From scrubbing a gutter to washing a bus, maybe just removing some oxidation form the siding, or an awning washing these brushes fill a need and work for me. Having the capability of down-streaming soap and cleaners to the brushes head is a time saver. I'm sure you will find new ways to use your pole and brush for other new ways of cleaning. No more spray lay down wand pick up brush scrub then repeat back wards till you start again. Will they work for you? That may be something to look in to. Brushes and poles are another power washing tool or attachment, with some fooling around you just may find it will work for you.

If I was trying to remove and lighten the stains left on the stucco, first I would use a pump up sprayer or trigger spray bottle with a strong house wash mix and apply it to the stained area. Using the red brush proceed to scrub and work it in let it dwell and reapply and work with the brush again then rinse well with a garden hose. If it works great if it made it better try again. Using this method you need not fire up the washer, or you could down stream a strong house wash mix through the red "tire brush" on a lance working it into the different surface areas of the stucco, then rinse, spot cleaning using the power washer to apply and scrub in via the brush and rinse with a 40* nozzle. Again this is only what I would do. Others might address the problem in a completely different manner.

Cleaned by Pete
417.459.7869
serving the greater Springfield MO area.

Today 7/26/14 the wife wanted me to drive her to the local discount foods store. While I really did not want to go shopping I drove her there. While at the store I was rewarded for taking her. There they were saying buy me, buy me.... Three brand new Laitner car washing brushes one tri faced and two standard banded brushes. All are soft split bristled no marring brushes for use and cars. You know now they will be use on houses and gutters plus other items too. Keep your eyes open never know when Lady Luck will shine a ray your way. Best of all all three were still under half price of the yellow one.
Laitner brushes just add to the Cleaned by Pete line up for washing / cleaning.

Super soft non marring brushes from Laitner, added to Cleaned by Pete's tool and accessory line up.

No comments:

Post a Comment