Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Selling That Attachment? Why?

Selling that attachment? Why?

I see alot of power washers selling off tools and attachments, I know sometimes we miss the boat and buy the wrong thing. A surface cleaner is a good example we buy a floater and find out that one with wheels would fit our needs better. We buy one to big for our washer and pump out put. Most times you take a big hit when you sell off your equipment or attachments.

I see lots of power washers selling their old X-jet, they don't use any more, I only down-stream now. Really why? I mean why sell it off it's paid for and it is not eating anything. There are times I use an item or tool that may have not been used for 6 months I have it and it is right tool for the job. When I was a motorcycle tech I many not have used my 1/2" wrench each and every day but would I sell it? No, the same thing now applies to my power washing tools. You may not use it everyday but boy is it handy to have when you need it.

I may just be a tool or attachment hoarder the more I have the more I want if for nothing else to see if they work. Why do you need all those tools an attachments some may ask? I can simply answer to do the best job. Sometimes a job throws you a curve and if you have the right attachment it will save you. One example is this since the "long range nozzles" came out there is not much need for the old water cannon. I was on a job a couple months back when due to the angle of the roof, a close fence and an ill planted tree I could not get to a dormer on the upper part of a home. It was covered with algae and need cleaning in the worst way. I could not get to it all with the long range nozzle no matter what I did. Some how the water cannon reached it and I was able to clean and rinse it with this tool. I did not want to crawl up on the roof or put a ladder on the guttering the fence was to close for this also. Having the right tool or attachment for the job saved me time and labor. You never know when a customer will have an add-on. The other day I did a house wash and up on completion they asked if I could was the RV? I had a brush and a foamer in the toolbox and it was a quick $50 dollars for having the tools to do the extra job.

If I had sold this or put it on the shelf I'm not sure what I would have done that day. Again back to working on motorcycles my fork seal drivers were use at least once a month but some sizes did not see use for a year or better did I sell them off? No I made money with them having them when you need them. Why do some sell off attachments or equipment if they are not using them on a regular bases? I'm not sure why do you shelf them if they don't see action daily or weekly? I would rather have it in the tool box just encase than a few dollars in my pocket to spend on something. Having extra tools and attachments may come in handy if something should break or go down. Finishing a job is a must it helps to show and prove to yourself if nothing else you are a professional. I know of a washer who sold his yellow noodle said he never used it cause of the uses of down-streaming and long range nozzles. He had to borrow it back from who he sold it to about 4 months later due to cleaning a wall over a open patio basement. It was an odd clean and a pole was the only way to do it. It had hung in the shop for a year with not action so he sold it, just luck he was able to borrow it back, buy another for a onetime job would have cut into the profits. I was looking at the local "want adds" the other day here was a almost new 12" surface cleaner it was one of the better ones BE brand I believe. Said "Used once now don't need", it was only $10 dollars off the original price. I asked the dealer that sells them about it he said ya we sold it to him (one of the other local power washing companies), he did the job now he wants to sell it. Why get rid of it will this be the only time it will ever be used? I found all types of uses for my 12" surface cleaner. Keep it in the truck all the time use it at least once a week for something. Did you not include buying or upgrading in your estimate? Do you need to sell it to keep your busy going tight margins? We all hope not.

Like I said selling off a large item you won't use as a surface cleaner that is too big or does not work with your set-up would make sense, but selling off an x-jet, the small 12" surface cleaner or say a foamer simply because you are not using it every day does not make a lot of sense to me. You may want to reconsider selling those tools, attachments, or equipment it may prove to be a better investment keeping it.

Cleaned by Pete
just a power washer serving the greater Springfield MO area
417.459.7869

No comments:

Post a Comment