Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Winter or "down" time on your hands?

Winter or "down" time on your hands?

As I am sitting here blogging you may guess I'm not working. Well that statement is a little misdirecting while I am not in the field washing and cleaning I am blogging hopefully getting more internet exposure and I'm always on the lookout for ways to help better Cleaned by Pete. New ideas, parts, attachments, machines, or just updating existing equipment is all part of the job requirements.

Each person finds different ways to work on his or her business during this time of year. Each area of the country is different and may also dictate what is being done. Most of the people I have met or know, who power wash have one thing in common they always seem to be on the go. Washing, cleaning and working we all strive do be doing something. Winter time brings this to a halt in parts of the country and with the "Polar Winds" we have had one cold winter so far.

As I type it has made it to a high of 16 degrees out side with blistering winds dropping the wind chill factor to the single digits to below 0 at times. Impossible to work outside and a bit cold to work in the shop for a day unless you are running the heater full blast. Just hard to get motivated at times. Well here is what I do for fun to fight off some of those winter blues. Looking for bargains this time of year is fun, Criagslist, ebay, other auction sights, local classified adds and flea markets are the place you can find me. Winter finds some of those bargains you are seeking the power washing season is over and those looking to sell may find it harder to locate that buyer.

Here are some of the items I have found thus far:

Cleaned by Pete's new Souix steam cleaner.

The newest addition to the line up at Cleaned by Pete a model B Siouz steame cleaner. While it is used it is new to us, I have always wanted one of these since I started in the washing / cleaning business now we have one.

Two weeping guns with full swivels good up to 5000 psi, hot water wash guns with heat guards.

Both guns have adjustable tips and splash guards both are brand new and found at a local flea market.

While I have never seen a high pressure flex tip like this before the price was right along with the extension wand were both flea market finds. The water broom was found on ebay never used I like to keep a broom like this with each washing rig.

Ebay find: I know nothing about this but it is intended to be put to work with our patio and BBQ maintenance program.

Out of the box this cleaning water broom will be working with our patio cleaning washer pictured below. Compact and portable was the goal when Cleaned by Pete built the unit to get around and behind customers homes with a minimal invasion or footprint.
The patio cleaning unit is the one with the hose reel on top.
This time a year is also a great time to pick up bargains in the home and garden shops. Garden hoses are priced on clearance this time of year reducing inventory for many reasons. The big box stores and other stores also have other useful items on sale during the off season. One still has to shop smart and keep a keen eye out, but may help to pass the winter season.

As I said that is what I do for fun it keeps up morel and readies one for the coming season. Having all your duck in the row now, means you can hit the ground running when the season get here.

 Now for things that you normally don't do: updating the web page or web sight this is one of the best times to do this. I am not a computer genius far from it, but I know what is working with my sight. I'm not large enough to pay some one full time to up date and add "fresh content" to the web sights that we have. Remember it is not only what you add but you need to rid yourself or old stale information. I have had my content lifted word for word this make it old and stale the web crawlers don't know who lifted it or took it form whom. I now over looks this information. If you have control go in, redo, get rid of, add to, move things around get a fresh new look. It will help your rankings, you up date tools and equipment as well as techniques all the time. Do your web pages need the same thing most of the time the answer is yes. Take the time and have a look this spring it will pay off. Winter is not really a "down time" look at it as a new or refreshing time, to get things done. On a side note make sure your web page is ready for mobile uses. Mine were but up on a closer view my phone # did not show up till you scrolled down a little that was not good. Grab their attention and keep them there till they call. Don't let them get away, if they have to look for something down the page you may have just lost out.

Some find this next subject a bit off but I like to do it now during the winter. I find it saves me time when the season starts. Money is tighter in the winter but I have tried to allot my spending for this time. Right now I'm stocking up on soaps and chemicals. Placing orders and getting what I will need for the coming season. Not waiting for the last minute to get it in. Keeping up the inventory which has run low toward the end of the year. Those needing a right off for taxes this was the time. I also try to replace any parts that were starting to give me problems and to stock up on small parts that were consumed during the year. O'rings, nozzles, quick connects, field repair hose ends and unions, to name a few. If you had that sticking unloader or injector replace or repair now sitting over the winter is not going to cure it. Just cause we are not in the field does not mean there is not work to be done.

Cleaned by Pete is located in Springfield MO and services the Southwest and greater Springfield areas. We are still cleaning up Springfield one home at time. Call us for a free prompt estimate for your cleaning needs: 417-459-7869.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you Pete, blogging is great for the SEO and Winter is the time to reduce, upgrade and find equipment that will bring money to the bottom line in the coming work season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Just amaze me...Like your blog

    ReplyDelete